Over 80 community volunteers celebrated new awards from the Greening Cambuslang Fund on Monday 27 March at the Toll Pitch Pavillion. More than £20,000 was awarded to 14 community groups, clubs and neighbourhood groups for their ideas to brighten up Cambuslang.
This second round of awards from the Greening Cambuslang Fund was for specific neighbourhoods of Central Cambuslang, the Caledonian Circuit, Eastfield, Silverbank and Whitlawburn. Project ideas given funding included:
- Plant-pots and birdhouses to brighten up the fence around James Aiton Primary School on Bridge Street
- Community gardens for the Little Rascal Toddlers Group, Upstairs Kids Klub, and Westburn nuseries
- Plants and flowers around flats at Keirs Walk (central Cambuslang), Arran Tower (Whitlawburn) and Eastfield Community Centre
- Floodlighting for the Circuit Youth Project to allow sports after dark
- Knitted dressing of street furniture by Universal Connections on Cambuslang Main Street
John Bachtler, Treasurer of Cambuslang Community Council, who presented the wards said:
Congratulations to all the community and neighbourhood groups for their fantastic ideas to brighten up Cambuslang through planting and other improvements! A lot of work has gone in to developing really imaginative projects that will make a real difference to the area. It was lovely to see everyone celebrating the successful projects at the Toll Pitch Pavillion, and we look forward to seeing the results over the summer.
John also paid tribute to the team from Healthy n Happy who helped local groups develop their project ideas:
The Greening Cambuslang project would not have been possible without the work of Jan Taylor of HnH, and her colleagues Sally, Kenny and Laura. They have worked tirelessly over the past three month to promote the Fund, and help local people come up with viable projects. We are really fortunate to have such a dedicated group as HnH working for the good of the community.
The Greening Cambuslang Fund is now closed, but further information on the projects is available from email@example.com