Cambuslang Community Council’s participation in the Cambuslang Summerfest 2015 has been judged a huge success based on the popularity of its stall and the interest of Summerfest visitors in community projects. The launch of the Council’s ‘Community Survey’ also got off to a flying start with almost 90 people on the day completing its questionnaire on what’s needed to improve Cambuslang, and many more respondents to the online version of the survey since then.
The stall was organised by Council members John Bachtler, Michelle Farmer and Linda Wallace, supported by former chair Iain Mackenzie. It was organised to promote the projects which the Community Council is running – the Cambuslang cycling project, the Cambuslang Green Network and the Friends of Holmhills Park – and to involve potential new members in the projects and in the Community Council itself.
The Community Council are very grateful for the generosity of sponsors who contributed to the event with practical help or prizes for the Community Council ‘mystery square’ competition and survey. The support included:
- meal and drink vouchers from The John Fairweather, Fratelli’s, Nando’s, Cinnamon Club, Asian Tandoori, Asian Fusion, Chillies and Corky’s Spirits;
- a large selection of very popular doughnuts provided by Morrison’s;
- trays of biscuits and other tasty treats donated by the Kids’ Complex Whitlawburn;
- generous quantities of tea, coffee and sugar from Tesco;
- production of a community council banner by Nairnbrook Large Format Printing;
- printing of posters and maps by South Lanarkshire Council; and
- the loan of tea and coffee urns by VASLAN.
Summerfest saw the launch of Cambuslang Community Council’s ‘Community Survey’ to find out what local people think is good or bad about the town and what needs to be improved. The Community Survey will run during the summer with paper copies available at Cambuslang Library, the Cambuslang Institute, Cambuslang Parish Church and Eastfield Community Centre. The survey is also available online for the next 3-4 weeks here.